Sunday, October 19, 2008

Cosmic Justice

So the Tampa Bay Rays are going to the world series.

I can't help but feel nostalgic about this, because the 2008 Rays forcibly remind me of the 2005 White Sox. What with their chippy play, and refusal to give in to what was undeniably a more experienced (and defending world champion) Boston Red Sox team, the Rays are something that I can root for. A team that I would NOT root for, however, was the Red Sox. 5 years ago, the BoSox were the darlings of the US, eerily similar to the Rays of this season. Refusing to yield to an overpaid and more experienced team, the Red Sox made history with an improbable comeback.

In an ironic twist, the BoSox and their fans have become what the Yankees were to them in 2004. Overpaid, over hyped, and with a fan base that to the rest of the Universe seems obnoxious and oppressive. Weird how that happens. And now, 4 years later, the Red Sox find themselves in the same position the Yankees were in. Ousted from the playoffs in game 7 of the ALCS by an inexperienced team bound for baseball glory. Here's to hoping that what happened to the Yankees after the 2004 season happens to the BoSox from here on out. Because thanks to ESPN and a bunch of asshole bandwagon fans, I'm friggin' sick of them.

How does this happen? I know that I'm not alone in saying that I was pulling pretty hard for the Red Sox back in 2004. Now I can't stand them. Is it just cosmic justice? Karma? Or is it just embedded in our culture to raise something up until it's better than we are, so then we have to tear it down? This doesn't just apply to sports players and franchises either. We do this to celebrities and politicians alike. I don't get it, but maybe that's just because it's 1:30 in the AM, and I can barely see straight. I'd still like some answers, though.

Next up for me? A RayHawk hairdo.

2 comments:

Brianne said...

Yay! You are blogging. I had taken the reigns of Angry Fan on my blog, but I'll go ahead and hand them over to you now :) Now for a new name of my blog...and no, "tarded" is not an option.

ahota88 said...

Uhhhh...2 things.

#1. When were you gonna let me know you had a blog?

#2 You owe me royalties for using my title, even though I hadn't started using it yet.