Friday, February 6, 2009

Lethargy Zoning

I realize that it's been about 2 months since I've posted anything on the ole' blog, and that kind of surprises me. Normally I'll be sitting at work (on break), looking at cnn.com, and I'll see something that makes me say "that's pretty screwed up. I should write a blog about that." Then I'll head home, full of piss (and occasionally vinegar) ready to spew blog-style venom about whatever current events topic I read about online. Once I get home, however, one of two things happens. I realize that what I thought of isn't funny or topical, or I realize that I had to be at work at 5:45 am, and I am too tired to give a shit anymore.

Usually, it's the fact that I am zonked out of my gourd tired that prevents me from blogging, or going to the gym, or doing anything else remotely productive with my life. I'm like Pete without the diabetes. I feel guilty about just getting home from work and just sliding into a comatose state. I know that there is stuff I could be out there doing that would advance (and possibly extend) my life, but I just can't muster up enough energy to give a shit. It's like there is some kind of wierd Lethargy Zone around Roper's house that just sucks out the will to do anything proactive. If Pete didn't have to pay rent, I don't think he would ever leave his room. 45 years down the road when Roper finally sells the house, there is going to be a Pete skeleton sitting on top of a pile of comics and empty Coke Zero cans that needs to be buried, or fed to the neighborhood dog.

That being said, there are two important things coming up this summer that I REALLY want to be in shape for. Number one is my wedding day. There is just something about the threat of looking like Hurley from LOST in your wedding pictures that can motivate you to hit the gym. The second thing is that very shortly, we will begin practicing for the upcoming softball season. I love Rambone, probably moreso than any other sporting team I've been a part of. I want to be the best damn 1st baseman I can be, and that includes being able to score from 1st base on a double to the fence. I'd like to be able to go from 1st to home without needing to take a hit on the portable oxygen tank afterwards. So if you happen to drop by Roper's place in the next few months, and you see me sitting on the couch like a coma patient, do me a favor and slap me in the nuts and tell me to hit the gym.

I really need to up my "Runs Scored" stats this year.

No comments: